We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle’s Premier League tie against Aston Villa was halted midway into the second half after a medical emergency became apparent at St James’ Park.

Newcastle sat on 18 points prior to Sunday’s crunch clash, just one point ahead of relegation rivals Norwich City in their quest for Premier League survival.
Taking on Steven Gerrard’s Aston Villa side, the Magpies looked to edge away from the Canaries with a win against the Villans.
They got off to a perfect start after Kieran Trippier’s superb free-kick gave them the lead going into the interval.
But midway into the second half play was stopped after a medical emergency became apparent in the stands at a sold-out St James’ Park.
Newcastle Villa
Referee Craig Pawson was alerted to the situation late in the second half with the Magpies leading 1-0.
The official made the decision to halt play whilst the fan in question received medical attention.
Both managers were seen pointing towards the fan in an attempt to stop the game.
And Sky commentator Gary Neville pointed the incident out to viewers around the country.
“There is a lot of yellow jackets and medical people at the top of that stand,” Neville said.
The incident marks the second medical emergency at St James’ Park this season after a fan fell ill in a home tie against Tottenham back in October.
Play was suspended for 20 minutes in the tie against the Lilywhites under the watchful eye of the then-new owners.
Medical staff treated a fan in the stands to stabilise their condition before being taken to hospital.
Following treatment, the person was safely treated in hospital.
Eddie Howe
Players such as Charlie Wyke, John Fleck and Victor Lindelof have all had problems on the pitch this season in terms of medical incidents.
Wigan star Wyke collapsed in training in November, with coaching staff ‘saving his life’.
“First and foremost, I just want to stress my sincere appreciation to the club’s medical staff and the NHS staff who have cared for me after I was taken into hospital last week,” Wyke said.
“In particular, I would like to mention Dr Rob Cooper from the Liverpool heart and chest hospital for everything he has done for me over the last week or so.
“I feel it’s important to tell my story to our supporters and to the wider public, because my life has been saved by the actions of the gaffer [Richardson] and the club doctor Jonathan Tobin, and my story may well save another life.
“As you are aware, I collapsed during training on Monday. I suffered a cardiac arrest and required CPR, and I am told it was only the quick response of the gaffer to initiate the resuscitation process and then the continuation from the doc that saved my life.”

See today’s front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive.


By faress

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.