live
Hello, and welcome to The Athletic's live coverage of today's football news.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has already had an impact on the sporting world. FIFA and UEFA have suspended Russia from international football and clubs from European competitions. Russia announced they'd appeal this decision to CAS.

Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich has also stated his intention to sell Chelsea, who he has owned since 2003.

On the pitch, Aston Villa and Chelsea thumped Southampton and Burnley 4-0 respectively yesterday. Brentford beat Norwich 3-1 while Liverpool held out for a 1-0 win over West Ham later in the day.

Today sees Arsenal take on Watford as they bid to strengthen their top four ambitions, while there is a tantalising Manchester derby too.

(Photo: Tom Flathers/Manchester City FC via Getty Images)
March 6, 2022 at 8:56 AM EST
Kick-off in today's first Premier League match is shortly upon us, and you can follow live updates right here.
March 6, 2022 at 8:05 AM EST
We've got all the build-up ahead of kick-off right here in our live blog.
March 6, 2022 at 7:39 AM EST
“No, you know what, I haven’t thought about that (the Arsenal captaincy), to be honest,” Odegaard admitted to Norweigan outlet TV2.

“That’s not something I think I really want to achieve. Of course, if it happens one day, it’s cool and all that stuff, but it doesn’t change that much for me.

“I’m not going to change as a person if that happens. I don’t feel like I changed when I captained the national team. I do my thing, but it’s not important for me.”

More here on this story.

(Photo: Getty Images)
March 6, 2022 at 6:42 AM EST
It's understood that Ronaldo and Cavani are ruled out of today's game through injury.

That leaves interim United boss Ralf Rangnick with quite the centre-forward conundrum.

Laurie Whitwell has the full story.
Cristiano Ronaldo out of Manchester derby. Edinson Cavani also not fit for squad.

Leaves Marcus Rashford as only recognised forward. Possibility Bruno Fernandes as false nine.@TheAthleticUK #MUFChttps://t.co/BKZFY1u0gf
March 6, 2022 at 6:08 AM EST
It's an insane statistic and one the FA is trying to address.

Jay Harris went to St George's Park to find out more.
No English manager has ever won the #PL while Harry Redknapp was the last one to lift a domestic trophy.

The FA is trying to address that with a new player to coach course.@jaydmharris joined Carlton Cole, Stewart Downing, Emile Heskey & Leighton Baines at St George's Park
March 6, 2022 at 4:47 AM EST
They may have lost 1-0 to Leicester yesterday, but there was plenty to like about Jesse March's first game in charge at Leeds.

Phil Hay has more.
▪️ 4-2-2-2
▪️ A change in pressing style
▪️ On-pitch huddle
▪️ Contesting decisions for the first time in four years

How #LUFC looked different in Jesse Marsch's first game in charge @PhilHay_ https://t.co/hH1bc7CzgH
March 6, 2022 at 4:31 AM EST
Stay tuned to keep updated with all today's football news!

source