By Wayne Veysey
Joe Rodon has set his sights on quitting Tottenham in the summer after failing to make any headway during Antonio Conte’s reign, Football Insider can reveal.
The Wales international, 24, has not had a single Premier League minute of action since the Italian took over despite him fielding a three-man defence.
A Tottenham source has told Football Insider that Rodon has “100 per cent” made up his mind to seek the exit in the summer window.
He had been willing to leave in January and was on the target list of the likes of Newcastle United and Brighton.
But potential permanent and loan options did not get off the ground and it meant him staying at Spurs.
Rodon remains stuck on the fringes even though he is regularly named in the matchday squad.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Conte gave some insight on Friday (3 December) why Rodon has only featured three times – during the humiliating defeat to Mura and cup matches against Brighton and Morecambe – during his reign.
Speaking at the pre-Norwich City media conference, Conte said he regards the Welshman as the back-up to Eric Dier for the role in the centre of the three centre-backs.
But when Dier was out injured, Rodon still did not figure, with Cristian Romero instead moving across from the right-sided centre-back role.
With Davinson Sanchez, Ben Davies and the injured Japhet Tanganga also ahead of him in the pecking order, Rodon does not feel he has a future under the current manager.
That is unlikely to change between now and the summer window, when Spurs are expected to be in the market for at least one senior centre-back and potentially more.
Rodon has made just 22 appearances for Spurs since signing from Swansea City in October 2020 for £11million rising to a potential £15m.
In other news, Tottenham hit by “devastating” blow ahead of Everton clash after “huge news”.

source

By faress

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.